Friday, November 5, 2010

Technology in Education

I have experienced a Renaissance in teaching. After 21 years teaching in very low tech and high tech environments I find myself rejuvenated and excited about teaching again. I fell into this situation quite accidentally. I found myself teaching Media and Photography in a Apple Lab and was assigned a block or two of English. I had taught English before but suddenly found myself utilizing the technology in my room in English. Suddenly I had my students engaged in web quests and then we evolved into online notebooks using wikispaces. Eventually we were using cloud computing and multimedia projects that truly engaged my students in the content and curriculum. I feel like I have opened the door and had a glimpse into the future of education, and at the same time feeling a little overwhelmed about the sheer volume of resources that are available, but what I know is that I want to be a pioneer, an explorer and leader for educators who want to take advantage of and manipulate the technology available to teachers in the 21st century.

6 comments:

  1. Using technology in English is a good idea because it make it more interesting to learn and wikispaces is a good idea for a place to do homework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too agree with Zane using technology in education make learning more fun and more convenient for students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does make it more fun, but not necessarily more convenient- my internet is down a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree with Zane, posting our homework on our Wikispaces is a lot easier than writing it on a piece of paper then handing it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel that along with it being entertaining and engaging to students it also helps the environment by not using paper. Although it is also hard for some people who don't have a laptop or a convenient computor to do their homework.

    ReplyDelete